POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I want World Coordinate Data : Re: I want World Coordinate Data Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:32:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I want World Coordinate Data
From: Ken
Date: 13 Nov 1999 12:55:54
Message: <382DA53C.3D5CE800@pacbell.net>
Jon Lockhart wrote:

> I was watching a news show one day and they had a view of a
> spinning globe. Each continent seemed to be created out of
> a mesh of some kind. Where oceans normally, would be, you
> could see through to the other side of globe. Each continent
> was its own object. In other words, they weren't using an
> image-mapped sphere. I've done image-mapped spheres.

Hypothetical solution untested and untried -

Going back to the image map idea for just a minute it might still be
possible to use this method to create the model you want. The method
I would use would be to paint the ocean basins white and leave the
land masses the original colors. Then use a filter index for the
image map that cooresponds to the white used in the ocean basins.
When sphericaly mapped to a globe you should now see just the land
masses with clear areas where the oceans once were.